Monday 12 March 2012

WalkShop Week 02-1

Instead of the usual Studio/Tutorial class this week, we were asked to proceed on a walk to the designated site for the upcoming projects - Howard Smith Wharves, while recording our experiences along the way. I had previously done the 'Walk' via bus last year, in my DAB525 class, so this year, I decided to walk, to gather new and different experiences. 

I began my journey at QUT's botanical gardens, along the "hard edge" path. Walking through the gardens, I look at the sculpture near the entrance, and realise it could possibly be considered a 'folie', a design term, about to be used alot through out the next 3 projects. I had never seen this sculpture like this before, I have looked, but never seen.

I made my way through the city, noticing and watching how people react in different places in the city. The changes between green spaces and concrete space are enormous. One minute I see trees, the next, pure concrete.

Below are some images of Howard Smith Wharves:










Whilst on site, some major observations were recognised as crucial elements, making up the history of the site. Such observations include the pill boxes, storage sheds, bridge struts, and overhanging cliff fronts. In visiting the Wharves, first impressions were of isolation and estrangement from the city, which seems so close, yet feels so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment